Xmas 2015

Copyright

I hope you enjoy reading this blog and find inspiration and ideas from what you have seen here but I would ask you to please respect my copyright and not use my pictures for publishing as your own work, or for entry into challenges.

Thursday 2 January 2014

New techniques - using the inkadinkadoo gear system

I've been aware of the Inkadinkadoo gear system for some time, but always thought it was a bit expensive for the amount of times I would use it.

But then while watching Create and Craft I noticed they had it in their sale... with flexipay and I succumbed!!

It arrived really quickly and I was so looking forward to trying it out but unfortunately, the day after delivery was a work day and that was followed by New Years Day and annoyingly I had other plans that couldn't be changed.   I know, how inconsiderate!!

So I finally got down to playing with it this morning.

Firstly, if anyone does buy the system, I must tell you that the packaging it comes in is beautiful - but you have to totally destroy it to get the equipment out!!  This meant I couldn't use the packaging to store it, which was disappointing.  I got round it by using a toiletry bag set I had in my gift cupboard - the big bag for the gears, and the small bags for the stamps and cogs.  First time I've given myself a gift from that cupboard, I must say!!!


It is really very easy to make lovely background papers using the system - a bit like the old children's toy spirograph -although as I mainly make cards I think I will use the cogs a lot more than I will use the wheels. The stamps were also really good value - and I have already sourced and ordered some more (on sale from Oyster stamps).  Now I just need to get the square and rectangular cogs and wheels...

For this card I used just one colour to make the background and distressing the topper card (Memento Olive Grove).  The two tone effect was achieved by stamping twice without re-inking - you get a surprisingly effective shadow...

It's easy to line it all up because the cogs have alternative openings marked with a little hole, and you never lose your place because you know which openings to put your paddle in.  The stamps are super clingy, and you can vary the effect just by lining the stamp up slightly differently on the paddle. Cool!

I used the same ink pad to distress around the edges and corner of the paper.  I also used my sakura gellyroll pen to highlight some of the dotty areas when it was done (although that doesn't show up in the photograph, which is a shame!)  The only other materials I used was some lace from my stash - a wide organza edged with gold to go across the centre, and some very narrow edged lace to go round the edge of the topper.

This monochrome effect was very easy and I used the colour tones as inspiration to colour in my fairy topper, which was a digital image I had in my stash.

I'm not sure whose digi image it was, so my sincere apologies for not crediting!

I used promarkers to colour in the image - again, sorry I didn't note the colours this time, but they were mainly the olive greens selection for the leaf skirt and shoes and yellows/light brown/orange for the hair.  I used pale pink and skin tones for the wings, and made them shimmer using a wink of stella clear brush.  Again, you can't see this in the picture as you can in real life, sadly...

I am entering this card into the following challenge(s):

Through the Craftroom Door - anything goes

Inky Impressions challenge blog - anything goes

The Crafting Cafe - anything goes

3 comments:

  1. Oh that is really lovely! And I am now having to remind myself that I do not have the room for that gorgeous set (I've tried "can't afford it", but that never seems to work, lol)... The effect really is something special! Thank you for joining in with the challenge at The Crafting Café. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a gorgeous creation! I love the toiletry bags too! lol! Thanks so much for playing in the Anything Goes Challenge at The Crafting Cafe this month!
    Good Luck
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The olive greens you used are perfect for this little image! Looks like she's wondering around her forest home.
    The toiletry bags were a great gift for yourself. I'm sure they'll keep your new tools nicely organized.
    Thanks so much for sharing at TTCRD. We hope to see you back very soon!
    hugs--
    Roberta
    Through the Craft Room Door DT
    Queen Bee Paper Crafts

    ReplyDelete