Xmas 2015

Copyright

I hope you enjoy reading this blog and find inspiration and ideas from what you have seen here but I would ask you to please respect my copyright and not use my pictures for publishing as your own work, or for entry into challenges.

Sunday 8 December 2013

Haberdashery corner

So over the past couple of months I have been trying to sort out my stash.  One of the problems I had was that everything was scattered all over the place - a box here, a bag there - and one of the worst things was my ribbons and lace.  I kept finding I had bought more of some ribbon I already had because I didn't know I had it.

I decided that the best thing was to find it all and get it in one place, and I came up with this storage solution:

I bought a baby bookcase from Argos for £12.99 - it measures 25" wide, by 32" high and 6" deep.

When I made it up I left the backboard off - I needed to put it on my windowsill and wanted to get light through it where possible.  There is a risk that the sun will discolour the ribbon in places but I decided that was a risk I was prepared to take.

It came with two shelves, and I put those at the top and bottom of the unit.  This left quite a big gap in the middle...

I bought some 9mm dowelling from Homebase and cut 4 pieces to fit the opening. I tried to get some wardrobe rail fixings, but they were too big (and expensive!) and ended up with some plastic pipe clips that I hot glued to the inside of the unit equidistantly.

Then I slotted my ribbons reels onto the dowelling and clipped them in place.

Some extra reels are stored under the bottom shelf, and on the bottom shelf are some stick on lace borders.

On the upper shelf I stored some boxes of very narrow upholstery trimmings.

Lastly, the small rolls and loose lace in my collection were stored in some (amazing value!) jars I bought from Ikea for just £1 each.

I was really pleased with my storage solution - all I have to do now is keep it tidy!!!

The next task is to find what the heck I have done with my hotfoil manual and foils....

No comments:

Post a Comment